Pomeranians are adorable little puffballs with distinct fox like faces and plumed tails.
Check out these 10 fun facts about Pomeranians:
- The name of the breed comes from Pomerania, which is the region of Northern Europe where they originated.
- They are also known affectionately as Poms or Pom Poms.
- These small dogs typically weigh around 7 to 10 pounds, but they’re descended from big sled dogs. Hard to believe, right?
- Pomeranians weren’t always so little. They used to weigh as much as 20 to 30 pounds before being bred down in size by Queen Victoria of England.
- Despite their small stature, they are famous for thinking they can take on big dogs with their little bark. This makes socializing a Pomeranian with other dogs important in order to avoid aggressive behavior.
- Martin Luther, a leader of the Protestant Reformation, had a Pomeranian named Belferlein who he often mentioned in his writing.
- Mozart dedicated an aria to Pimperl who was his beloved Pomeranian.v
- Michelangelo had a Pomeranian by his side as he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- Pomeranians can make wonderful therapy dogs. They are also trained as hearing assistance dogs.
- Despite their furry coat, they don’t require a lot of grooming other than regular brushing, which can help reduce shedding.